Exploring the Housing and Health & Wellness Services at Niagara College – Toronto
At this time of year, many of our new students are eagerly anticipating the start of their first term, while some of our current students are gearing up for their final exams – the peak of their hard work and dedication for the Spring 2023 Term. Regardless of where you are in your journey at Niagara College – Toronto (NCT), it is important to find a place to call home for both your physical and mental well-being. Our team of friendly and supportive staff can help you prioritize your health and accommodations through our extensive partnerships, resources, and services, made available through the Housing Services and Health, Wellness and Community Services (HWCS) departments. In this blog, we will highlight the support services in place at NCT that allow you to achieve your academic and personal potential.
Our Housing Services department understands the importance of having a safe space to call home. During your time at NCT, our Housing Services team will strive to provide you with access to reputable housing solutions (Niagara College – Toronto has partnerships with numerous student housing providers) and detailed information to help you fully understand your rights as a tenant and the responsibilities and limitations of landlords in Ontario.
The Housing Services team can assist you if you have questions related to:
- Housing options in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
- Renting or leasing in Ontario
- Understanding the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) and landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities in Ontario
- Budgeting for housing
- Your rights and responsibilities
- Safety in your area of residence
- Preparing for emergencies
- Seasonal safety
- Solutions for housing challenges
- Emergency housing support
If you would like more information or wish to connect with a member of the Housing Services team at NCT:
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Connect with members of the NCT community, including staff and students, on housing-related matters at NCT Unibuddy Community for housing support.
- Meet with members of the Housing Services team on campus:
- 22 College Street Campus: Ground Floor
- Mirvish Campus: Visit the Welcome Centre and ask for a Housing Services team member
- The Housing Services webpage offers helpful resources and information for your housing-related enquiries
Health, Wellness and Community Services (HWCS)
At NCT, we recognize that a healthy mind and body are vital to academic success and overall quality of life. Our Health, Wellness and Community Services (HWCS) department is staffed by a team of dedicated and compassionate professionals, committed to supporting your overall well-being through a comprehensive array of mental, physical, and emotional health resources. We invite you to explore the services offered by HWCS, attend the frequent and informative workshops, or participate in the many on- and off-campus HWCS events, activities, and meet-ups.
Look to the Health, Wellness and Community Services department for help with:
- Health insurance questions related to guard.me and Keep.meSAFE
- General health referrals
- Liaise with community partners and other services referrals
- Wellness and well-being support
- Emotional and mental health support
- Issues with cultural adaptation and social connections
- Peer support and support groups
- Workshops, question and answer (Q&A) sessions, webinars, trainings, and classes
- Emergency housing support
More information can be found on the HWCS webpage or the HWCS Canvas page. If you would like to get in touch with a member of the Health, Wellness and Community Services team, they can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can meet with an HWCS team member at Mirvish Campus in room 102.
Emergency Support Contacts
For urgent needs, please see our list of resources below. We recommend NCT students store this information somewhere they can easily access it in case of an emergency:
Guard.me and keep.meSAFE
All Niagara College – Toronto enrolled students are covered by guard.me insurance.
- You can reach out to guard.me at email@example.com or via their emergency phoneline at 1-888-756-8428 if you need health support
- If you need access to medical help, there are multiple walk-in clinics close to our campus
- See a list of locations here: https://www.niagaracollegetoronto.ca/student-life/health-wellness-and-community-services
- You can find more information on this website: https://guard.me/niagaracollege
The keep.meSAFE Mental Wellness Student Support program is a support service available to all NCT students. The program can support you with a variety of mental health and wellness-related concerns.
- Contact keep.meSAFE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (24/7) to speak with an experienced and professional counsellor
- Call 1-844-451-9700
- Connect via the My SSP application (app)
- Are available 24/7 and at no cost to you
- Keep your information confidential
- Understand your culture
- Speak your language
Good2Talk is a free and confidential support service, funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
- Counsellors at Good2Talk are qualified mental health professionals and are trained in crisis response
- Available 24/7
- Call 1-866-925-5454
- Text GOOD2TALK to 686868
- Chat on their Peer-to-Peer Community
- Find more information here
Emergency Housing, and Housing Support Services
If you need emergency shelter or respite:
- Contact our Housing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or our HWCS department at email@example.com
- Additionally, you can call 311 or the Central Intake at 416-338-4766. They will assist you in finding a suitable location (24-hour respite sites prioritize ease of access to the following services for individuals experiencing homelessness: resting spaces, meals, and service referrals).
At Niagara College – Toronto, our dedication to your success extends beyond academics. From helping you access valuable information for housing in Toronto and providing safe and reputable housing options, to prioritizing your mental and physical well-being, we are here to support your needs and growth both inside and outside the classroom. Your well-being is our top priority. As you embark on the Fall 2023 Term, know that we are here to help and that there are many supports in place, should you need them.
December, 4, 2023
November, 20, 2023
November, 6, 2023
November, 2, 2023
October, 23, 2023
October, 11, 2023
September, 27, 2023
September, 11, 2023